The week that was

Hello all!

This was a really rough week and so much has happened. I’ll try to go in order :)

On Tuesday I went on exchanges with Sister Drollinger and saw so many miracles and blessings–one of which was a man, C, who we met at a potential’s house. We talked with him and helped him build his race car for a little bit (I know, the things you never think you’ll do as a missionary) and he asked us if we were the ones with ‘another book’. We explained the Book of Mormon to him, that is is the record of ancient prophets here in the Americas, which goes hand in hand with the record of ancient prophets in the Middle East area (the Bible), and he was excited that it was a record of the ancient American Indians because his grandfather was 100% Indian. When we followed up on Saturday he had read the first two books (1 and 2 Nephi) and was loving it and loved the teachings he found in it :)

We were also able to give S (the German exchange student) her last lesson before she left to return home to Germany. I love her so much–she is going to do amazing things and will continue to be an amazing person. I can’t wait for the email with the pictures of her baptism :)

(sorry, it was a hot day and their a/c was broken. It was 90 in the house and 115 outside, haha

(sorry, it was a hot day and their a/c was broken. It was 90 in the house and 115 outside, haha

While we were on exchanges on Tuesday President called Sister Jackson and told he she is going home, that it would be better for her to receive the immediate medical help she needs in order to find out what has been going on and fix what has been causing her so much pain (for the last week and a half she has been at a constant 9.5/10 on her pain scale). It ended up being a hidden blessing that we were on exchanges when we found out–we were both able to deal with it on exchanges and be more okay with it when we saw each other–we missed each other’s initial reactions.

Wednesday afternoon we received another call from President telling her that she will be leaving the following morning. Her parents had sent her a package which arrived that afternoon–a little message from Heavenly Father that everything was going to be okay. In the package they sent me a little gift:


Yup, those sure are matching cockroach necklaces! Sister Jackson had written home about an experience we had a few weeks ago: we were sitting on J’s porch and all of a sudden he squashed a cockroach which was crawling on his porch. We both thought he squished it dead, but a few minutes later it flipped back over and limped off to a corner, recovered, and came right back stronger and smarter than it was before. Sister Jackson applied it to our companionship–we get squashed down a whole lot, but we come right back and we will not quit. It was a perfect reminder and comfort to receive at just the perfect time.

I love Sister Jackson so much! Her leaving had me think over the two and a half months we spent together–the only two and a half months of her mission so far. Did I do everything I could to make this the best mission experience she could have? Were we 100% diligent to serving the Lord? Did I do everything I could to help her through her pain? Could I have done more? It changed my perspective of my mission–between reaching my halfway point and Sister Jackson going home, it’s caused a lot of reflection of my mission so far and what the rest of my mission can be.


Thursday morning we were able to have a district breakfast right before Sister Jackson left with a member who was driving her back so Macon (Elder Moyo and Elder Noll were on exchanges, so Elder Moyo was gone and we had a random Elder in there haha).

I was put in a trio with Sister Hathaway and Sister Eggett, the other set of sisters serving in our ward. Another hidden blessing–we had two sets of sisters in our ward and I was able to remain helping our investigators along with the new sisters.

On Saturday the sisters had a baptism for an investigator they’ve been working with for a while–D! She is amazing and as soon as she stepped out of the font and the sisters handed her a towel, she just buried her face in the towel and cried, she was so happy and peaceful and clean.


For Mothers Day this year the Elders brought us all roses, so for Fathers Day we made them duct tape ties. And of course, we had to model our creations :)

DSC09712Also in honor of Fathers Day, here’s a video about how wonderful Fathers are (I love you Dad!) All families come in different shapes and sizes, but no matter what, we all have a Heavenly Father who loves us, watches over us, and wants the best for us and will help us return to live with Him again: click here.

Thank you for your prayers and love–I feel them every day. I love you all so much.

Sister Waddoups


One thought on “The week that was

  1. Love the ties! We hope that Sister J responds quickly to medical help & is able to return. You are forever planting seeds that you my or some one else will harvest. Yes, missionaries do things they never pictured themselves doing.

Comments are closed.